Sunday, February 2, 2014

A Gray Day - but this time with pictures!

Today was my second day in the city, and though it rained in the morning, the afternoon was dry so I decided to take a walk and explore my area. Instead of walking parallel with the dorm, I decided to walk towards the hill on the other side. It was a gray day - even though it wasn't raining, the sky was still overcast - so the pictures I took look less beautiful than city-like, but this area is really gorgeous. The highway crosses over a river (canal?) from the lake, and comes to a hill with a church at the top.

The river

The church! And I think there's a vineyard below it?
While the hill doesn't look that steep, when I finally climbed it, it was definitely a workout. ^^

At the top was this incredible view, which admittedly doesn't really show in the pictures, but you could see all the mountains across the way, and if you look closely, I'm pretty sure you can just start to see the alps waaay in the background. Again, I'm sure the pictures will turn out much better when the sun is shining.



It seems pretty industrial from here, but I think I actually like being out of the city center. Apart from the occasional siren (the typical European weeeoooooweeeeoooo!) it's pretty quiet here, which is a nice change from the constant clamor on University Street in Montreal. 

It's Sunday, so there were almost no shops open, but I did manage to find a tiny supermarket relatively close to my dorm that's open 7 days a week until 11pm, which will be good to know just in case. And, of course, I went inside to check out the sorts of things they had and ended up buying some Haribos...

Haribo macht Kinder froh, und Erwachsene ebenso!

I'm not sure how Charlie feels about all this...
Soon after that, it started to rain, so I had to head home. All in all, though, I got in a pretty good walk, and I got a bit of a handle on where I am and what's around me. I still haven't been downtown yet, but I'm going to try to get there tomorrow, because I need a phone plan so I can snapchat all these gorgeous views! (jk...mostly ^^)

Here's a few more pictures from my walk:
These seagulls were lined up all the way across the bridge!
I had fun walking by and watching them fly away in order,
thinking "Fly, my pretties, fly!"

The church at the top of the hill.

...complete with graveyard! Some of these stones were from the 1800s!

I'm not sure why they're training private detectives here, but I'll be sure
to keep my eye out for men with double-brimmed hats...

No comments:

Post a Comment